Every year, after spending months at sea, a colony of Adelie penguins would return to Antarctica on April 25 for seven years in a row.
Why not celebrate by . . .
- Dressing in penguin colors
- Visiting the penguins online at the Cincinnati Home Safari (scroll down to the Penguins link; includes an activity as well)
- Share this holiday on social media using the hashtag #WorldPenguinDay.
- Check out the Antarctic Ocean Alliance list of penguin facts.
Did you know . . .
- Penguins have the highest feather density of any bird, at about 100 feathers per square inch.
- Penguins drink saltwater, but their supraorbital gland filters salt from their bloodstream. The salt gets excreted when penguins sneeze.
- The tuxedo pattern of a penguin’s feathers is a form of camouflage. From above, their dark body blends into the ocean water, from below their white stomachs match the bright, sun-lit surface.
- Penguins spend as much as 75 percent of their lives at sea, coming ashore for molting or breeding.